Kitchen Decor Mistakes That Most New Homeowners Make
Renovating a kitchen is an art as well as science. It’s art because a highly functional kitchen devoid of any personality is nothing but uninspiring. It’s a science because it’s like chemistry you have to balance the equation of form and functionality. A great kitchen is equal parts form and function and that is a tightrope to walk.
Here are a few kitchen decor mistakes that you should avoid making:
1. Overdoing open shelves: Open shelves are highly flexible and versatile. They are excellent for displaying your favourite crockery and keeping items that you want at an arm’s length. However, overdoing open shelves also means everything is on display. Trust us, nobody wants to see your not-so-fancy utensils which may be highly functional. For a clutter-free kitchen, there should be a mix of enclosed storage and open shelving.
2. Choosing the wrong countertop: A countertop is the most important thing in the kitchen as it, not just witnesses action but is a participant. You don’t want a countertop that may soon end up with scratch marks of utensils and other items. Acids from lemons and tomatoes can stain the countertop. When it comes to a countertop, low maintenance should be the key mantra when making the decision.
3. Not taking into consideration appliance placement: It would definitely not be a nice morning if you have to unplug your kettle to get the toaster working or unplugging your microwave to plug the blender. Creating too few sockets for electrical gadgets can be quite bothersome. Also, keeping sockets too close to cabinets can result in cabinet doors clashing with your appliances. Visualising appliance placement is not enough, measure the area and the appliance beforehand.
4. Overlooking the lighting: Poor lighting in the kitchen can make working in the kitchen an inefficient process. Remember, pendant lamps serve a purpose and they are not just for decorative purposes. Too short pendant lights can be of no use. Make sure that you opt for long linear pendant lamps that can also act as task lights and illuminate the counter space or kitchen islands.
5. Not keeping ventilation in mind: Does your house smell of last night’s dinner in the morning? Just relying on an exhaust fan and windows to get your kitchen rid of cooking fumes can not just stain your cabinets and walls but can also adversely affect your health. The best way to tackle this to make room for a chimney. An effective chimney will help keep your kitchen space cleaner by venting odours and grease particles from the air that would otherwise land on the countertops, cabinets, and walls.
6. Not decorating like a regular room: Like other rooms of the house, the kitchen too needs a dose of personality. While filling it up with appliances and utensils is easy, making it feel warm and inviting is also crucial. Add an area rug, artwork, plants, and other items to make the kitchen more personal. If you don’t have a kitchen island or sitting space, just add a stool or a bench so that your friends can sit while you cook.
If you don’t want to repeat these kitchen decor mistakes and convert your kitchen from drab to delightful, visit http://www.kutchina.com/ to explore the latest Kutchina modular kitchen designs. Kutchina is one of the top selling kitchen appliance brands in India.