Immersion blender recipe: Homemade mayonnaise
Mayonnaise can uplift the taste of any food, be it sandwiches, salads, pasta, finger chips, French fries or burgers. But did you know that instead of buying a bottle of mayonnaise from your nearby grocery store, you can make mayonnaise at home? Just a few simple ingredients and an immersion blender, and yummy mayonnaise are ready and that too in less than 10 minutes.
Immersion blender recipe of mayonnaise
- 1 large egg or 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
How to prepare it?
Crack the egg into a jar and add mustard powder and vinegar. For best results, use a tall cylindrical jar. You can even use a mason jar. Run the immersion blender for 40 seconds until the mixture is light yellow in colour. Make sure you place the immersion blender stick at the bottom of the jar so that everything combines well. Slowly add olive oil, a tablespoon at a time. Once the mixture tends to thicken, add lemon juice and salt. Transfer it to a dry and airtight container. You can use this mayonnaise for up to a week.
Why is an immersion blender best for making mayonnaise?
Though you can make mayonnaise by hand, it involves a lot of manual effort and time. Mayonnaise is an emulsion which means it is a mixture of ingredients that generally do not mix well. When you whisk by hand, it’s a lot of work. When you place an immersion blender into the beaker, the blades whirl the ingredients at a high speed, thus emulsifying the ingredients.
- Ensure all the ingredients are at room temperature
- A thinner and taller beaker container is the best. This allows the blade to mix all the ingredients well. Avoid using a wide-bottomed utensil as it will take more time for an immersion blender to mix everything well.
- Always use an oil that doesn’t have too strong a flavour. Oil is the base of mayonnaise and should have a very light taste. Olive oil, canola oil, safflower oil and grapeseed oil are all good choices.
- Keep homemade mayo in the fridge and use it up within the week.
Looking for a hand blender online? Check out our immersion blenders that come with 2-speed settings so that you can achieve the desired consistency. The lightweight and soft-grip handle makes it convenient to use and hold.