10 Interesting Facts On Water – By A Leading Electric Kettle Company
Water is an integral part of our daily lives without which our survival would be impossible. From morning till night, we consume water for various purposes without realising what a precious resource it is. As one of the best electric kettle companies, we share with you 10 interesting facts on water:
1. Not all kinds of water can be consumed. Saltwater cannot be consumed for drinking as it contains too much salt. Freshwater has less than 500 parts per million (ppm) of dissolved salts thus is ideal for drinking.
2. The amount of salt in water varies from one ocean to another. For example, the water in the Atlantic Ocean has more salt than the Pacific Ocean. The world’s saltiest body of water is Antarctica’s, Don Juan Pond.
3. While an adult human being needs 7 to 8 glasses in a day, it’s interesting to know that millions of bacteria and viruses can live on a single drop of water.
4. Water is the only substance on earth that is found naturally as liquid, solid and gas. There are many other substances that can be in all three forms, but that would require extreme temperatures.
5. You must have heard that the human body is mainly made up of water. Well, that is true. Adults are about 60% to 70% water, a newborn is 78% water.
6. In plants, water defies gravity. Instead of falling down, it goes up.
7. It is estimated that a human being can live without food for a month or so, but only about a week without water.
8. Even a small drip from a tap can waste over 70 litres of water a day.
9. You all must be aware of the process of evaporation. But do you know that nearly a trillion tonnes of water are vapourised every day due to the heat of the sun?
10. The quality of water affects the taste of your food or tea. Chlorine and impurities in the water get absorbed by the food. thus affecting the flavour.