Modular kitchen design: tips for first-timers
If there’s one place in the house that is the most difficult to design, it’s undoubtedly the kitchen. If you are planning to install a modular kitchen, there are several intricacies and modular kitchen specifications that you need to keep in mind.
Here we share some useful tips to help you make an informed decision.
1. Do not ignore the functional value: When it comes to a modular kitchen, there are several aspects that need to be considered. The size of the kitchen, the layout, location of the sink, and location of appliances such as refrigerator, hob and dishwasher. A major part of choosing the layout is to ensure that things work efficiently. The layout should be such that it optimally utilises space and maximises functionality.
2. Decide the height of the kitchen counter: The height of the kitchen counter plays an important role in deciding cabinetry. In average Indian kitchens, the kitchen counter is between 820 mm to 860 mm. A kitchen counter that is too high can make it difficult for you to work efficiently. You can choose the height as per your preference.
3. Select cabinetry wisely: The right kitchen cabinetry can make or break your kitchen’s functionality and style. Choose colours and materials that you can easily maintain in the long run. The colour combination and the material should complement the décor of the kitchen. Also, keep in mind that the decor of the rest of the house. The overall look of the modular kitchen should complement the entire home.
4. Do not neglect ventilation: While you are spending time, money and effort on designing a beautiful and highly functional kitchen, make sure that you complement it with a good ventilation system chimney. A modular kitchen should be designed in such a way that it has dedicated space for a kitchen chimney that keeps your kitchen free from cooking smoke and odour. An electric chimney also prevents the cabinetry, walls and tiles of the kitchen from getting greasy and sticky.
5. Maximise storage: One of the major benefits of a modular kitchen is that you can maximise storage capacity by making use of innovative storage solutions such as pull-out pantry and floating shelves. You can customise the storage as per the family’s needs and the space in the kitchen. In a cramped kitchen, you can turn awkward corners into usable storage space. In a big kitchen, you can go for an island kitchen table so that you can socialise while you are cooking.