How to cook rice with a rice cooker?
In India, it is hard to imagine meal times without rice. You can pair rice with a myriad of dishes from rajma, dal and fish curry to even spicy coconut chutney! However, at times, making rice can be a hassle. As there are different varieties of rice, getting the rice and water ratio right can be a bit daunting every time.
If you love rice and want to make it perfect every time, you will definitely love an electric rice cooker. The appliance has made rice-cooking simple and effortless for today’s homemakers.
If you are planning to buy a rice cooker and wondering how to use it, well, here are a few simple steps to guide you:
1. Know your rice: Different types of rice require different amounts of water and time to cook it thoroughly. For every one cup of long grain rice, you need two cups of water. For medium grain and small grain, you need 2 to 2.5 cups of rice. For parboiled rice, you need 3 cups of rice. If you are making a particular type of rice for the first time, cook one cup of rice to see how it cooks. Read the instructions on the rice package for the accurate amount of water.
2. Rinse the rice thoroughly with water: Before cooking the rice, the grains need to be thoroughly cleaned. Rinse them at least two to three times or until the water is clear. Rinsing is very important as it washes off excess starch. If the rice grains are not thoroughly rinsed, the cooked starch will make them sticky. If you like your rice to be fluffy, rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
3. Soak the rice: Some rice may need to be soaked. Basmati rice needs to be soaked in water for 10 minutes while other types of rice may need to be soaked for half an hour.
4. Transfer the rice to the inner pot: Once the rice is rinsed, transfer the rice from the bowl to the inner pot of your rice cooker. Now, add the required amount of water. Place the inner pot inside the rice cooker and close the lid.
5. Switch on the electric rice cooker: Plug in the rice cooker and turn the cooker on. Once the rice is cooked, the cooker will automatically switch off.
6. Serve it hot: After your rice has finished cooking, let it rest for 10 minutes. Keep warm mode on before serving.
Looking for an electric rice cooker? Our rice cookers come with a non-stick pot and a warm function. You can make a variety of dishes other than rice in them. Our elegantly designed rice cookers can be used for cooking as well as serving.